Tuesday, August 18, 2015

You decide


As many of my friends know, I am entering a period of career uncertainty. I will spare you the nitty gritty, suffice it to say that I am in the market for a new job.

I was at a barbecue with friends tonight and I kept being asked how I was dealing with the situation, and if I was ok, and how terrible it was and honestly, I was so caught off guard. Because I do not see the situation in a negative light. And I know everyone was just being kind but I also wasn't quite sure what they were so concerned about.

And then I remembered that I had made a choice. A promise, in fact, to myself. When I found out the news that my company was being sold, I promised myself that I would not let this situation stress me out. I would roll with the punches and be as positive as humanly possible, and of course I would work hard to find a new job, but I was not going to let this whole thing get me down.

And you know what? It worked! I am not stressed out, I am using every ounce of energy for good and positive and future purposes instead of worrying or stressing about things I cannot change. Hey, I hear there are even people who live like this ALL OF THE TIME. It's working so well, I am applying it to all areas of my life. Because it's so true what they say:

You can only control what you can control.

Let the rest go. Focus on what you CAN control. Make promises to yourself and KEEP them. You will be so surprised how a situation that could be miserable and sad and panicky and stressful can also be relaxed and productive and, dare I say, thrilling. It's all about YOU. It's in your hand. Not everything, but your reaction, yes. And you don't have to be superhuman and you can still have an emotional response, but you can also control your reaction.

I am so proud to have discovered this. You should try it!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...